It's fun to add a few trendy pieces to your wardrobe each season, but you can save money by buying "season-less basics", or in other words, classic pieces that can be worn almost all year round. Here's what I recommend:
1. A fabulous leather jacket that fits like a glove in a light weight and in a light color such as camel or cream. Not only will this jacket go with everything but it can also be worn pretty much all year round.
2. Little black dress: I'm constantly hounding my clients to buy a great black dress since it never goes out of style! Simplicity is the key here---go with a scoop neckline, short sleeves (or no sleeves) and either a straight or A-line bodice which will make changing up your look with a cardigan or jacket effortless! I just learned of The Donna Karan Infinity Dress which can be worn 7 different ways! It seems pricey at almost $1,000, but you basically get 7 dresses in one!
3. Hoop earrings---good size and thin in either gold or silver depending on your preference
4. A lightweight boyfriend blazer that can be worn to work, over a dress or with jeans or capris.
5. Fabulous jeans--I like J. Crew, Jag, Not Your Daughter's, J. Brand, and CJ Cookie Johnson.
6. Camel color pumps or peep-toes. Camel is a hot color this season and is so neutral that it goes with everything.
7. Pencil skirt--the style will flatter almost every body shape and the classic cut won't go out of style
8. Perfect tee shirts---whether wearing with jeans and a blazer or dressing up with a sequin scarf or statement necklace, you can never have enough great fitting basic tees. Try 3 Dots.
9. A little animal print. No longer considered a trend, animal print has become a classic. Watch out that you don't over-do it, but in moderation animal print can look chic and will be a great addition to your wardrobe. If you're a bit timid, add in animal print with a tote, scarf or shoes or go all out with a dress, skirt blouse, coat or cardigan.
10. A classic style watch. I love the look of a simple watch---it's so classic and timeless (no pun intended!). You don't have to spend a fortune--Timex, Fossil, Ann Klein and even Target have some great watches.